What Is The Cause of Social Anxiety Disorder?
What really is the cause of social anxiety disorder? Well, there can be many causes, some externally, some internally and some from our past.
* For example, one cause can come from childhood. If you had very demanding parents while growing up, this can flourish into social anxiety. If they expected perfection or if they sometimes chastised you in social situations, you may have a very heightened sense of feeling self-conscious and this certainly can lead to social anxiety.
* Another example is if you were very embarrassed in a social situation in the past (something awful happened while you were eating in front of others, for example), this can cause a fear that it will happen again. You may do whatever it takes to avoid this particular social situation, even if you are hungry. The social phobia overrides everything.
* Also, low self-confidence or low self-esteem can certainly cause a person to have social anxiety. This can happen if your parents, siblings, or your mate makes you feel like you are worthless and you actually believe them. This feeds into the thought that others are judging you and you fear disapproval. You may have yourself convinced that others are judging you, but many times this is imagined.
Click here for some suggestions to help with social phobia.
To experience a feeling, you have to first experience a thought. So, the roller coaster of negative or obsessive thinking is definitely a cause of social anxiety.
Help with attacking anxiety and depression and negative thinking.
Help to stop anxiety and obsessive thoughts.
* Perfectionism can also bring on social phobia. We may expect perfection of ourselves, we feel that what we do just isn´t good enough. If you feel this way, this can also cause social phobia.
* If you were bullied as a child in school, this can definitely cause a social anxiety. It doesn´t even have to be physical bullying, it can be verbal too. It can be picking and teasing or being the butt of jokes. This can be very painful to deal with as a young person. And whether we like it or not, it can make a deep impression, even to the point where it defines us, it shapes the opinion we form of ourself and our abilities.
Life brings on inevitable rejections which can be very disappointing, but don't have to be devastating. If you were never taught coping skills to deal with these rejections successfully as a child, this could also be the cause of social anxiety disorder.
These are only a few of the things that can cause social anxiety. Whatever the case, you don't have to be a slave of your social fears! There are so many things you can do to alleviate your symptoms. You may try some suggestions for
anxiety self help from the My Advice section.
Exit Cause of Social Anxiety Disorder and
Go To Practical Anxiety Disorder Advice